You’re working really hard on eating balanced, nutritious meals and you’ve finally figured out how to fit your workouts in, but are you eating smart to energize yourself throughout the day and also to optimize your workout? Food is fuel so it is just as important to eat well to support your workouts and overall health. The key to smart eating, getting the most out of your workouts and performing well at work or school is the same: focus on eating nutrient-rich foods throughout your day.
To help you out, here are some top five must-haves to optimize your workout and life!
1. Eat Breakfast: Start the day by putting some gas in your tank! Your body needs energy to exercise. You will be able to exercise longer at a higher intensity when you consume some high quality calories for breakfast. Without breakfast, you will be low on energy, begin to crave sweets, and potentially overeat. In addition, it will leave you drained for the rest of the day. One of my favorite new products that works great for breakfast is the Organic Valley Organic Balance which is a delicious, organic milk protein shake perfectly portioned with 16 grams of satisfying protein and 190 calories. You can definitely feel good about their ingredient list! Take a look! Organic Valley is giving away a trip to a yoga retreat in Hollywood, Florida + a month supply of Organic Balance! Check out the Pin-To-Win details here!
2. Smart Snacking: Instead of using snacking as a quick hunger or energy fix, plan it into your daily routine and caloric intake. Use smart snacking to get more vitamins, minerals, protein, and energy with options such as watermelon, hard boiled eggs, Organic Valley Organic Balance or almonds.
3. Hydrate: As you exercise, you sweat to keep the body cool. It’s vital to make sure you are adequately hydrating throughout the day and not just when you are thirsty or after your workout. How do you know if you are getting enough to drink? Check your urine color. If its pale yellow (lemonade color), you are well hydrated. If its dark yellow (apple juice), its time to hydrate more!
4. Daily Inspiration: Okay, I’m a big fan of “mental nutrition”, too. I actually trademarked this several years ago as I think it is so important to “feed” your mind with positive thoughts and inspiration. This helps to put you in the right mindset for your workout and your entire day. I LOVE pinning inspirational quotes and sayings to always aim to live in a state of gratitude.
5. Sleep: Even though this isn’t a food to eat, proper sleep is one of the most important keys to good health, maximizing your workout and also maintaining a healthy weight. We know that people who do not get enough sleep struggle more to manage their weight. Afew of my favorite ways to improve my own include using an eye mask and using a sleeping sound machine app.
Use these healthy and nutritious tips to feel better, have more energy and support your workouts. You can create a smart eating plan that provides you a proper foundation to exercise and manage your weight.
Disclosure: I work with the folks at Organic Valley. Opinions are my own.
A delicious and healthier way to enjoy a sweet treat in Summer! Check out my new Strawberry Dessert Pizza Recipe!
- 2 Flatout Multi-Grain with Flax Flatbreads
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups California strawberries, sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- non-stick baking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray both flatbreads with non-stick baking spray. Spread a thin layer of butter over the two flatbreads. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and then sprinkle evenly on top of the flatbreads. Bake the flatbread for about 7 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each flatbread with 1 cup of sliced strawberries. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 30 seconds and then stir. Add additional time if needed in 15 second increments and then drizzle on top of strawberries and flatbreads. Cut each flatbread through the middle on each side creating 4 slices for each flatbread. Enjoy!
Disclosure: I work with the folks at Flatout. Opinions are my own.
Want a tasty treat for the kids this summer with less sugar than traditional pops? Make these super simple ice pops with my favorite sports drink that I’m sure your kids will love! BODYARMOR Sports Drink contains NO artificial colors, sweeteners, or preservatives and is lower in sugar than many traditional ice pops.
DIY Sports Drink Ice Pops
BODYARMOR Sports Drink flavor of your choice
Ice pop molds
Just pour into ice pop mold place into freezer until solidly frozen. ENJOY!
Disclosure: I am a spokesperson for BODYARMOR. Opinions are my own.
I can’t get enough of this simple and delicious high protein BBQ chicken pizza using Flatout’s new ProteinUP CarbDown Flatbread for the crust! The flatbread has 12 grams of protein and only 130 calories!
You must try this yummy high protein/low carb recipe soon…I promise you will love it!
- 2 Flatout ProteinUP CORE 12 Flatbreads
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. grilled chicken breast, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon red onion
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- non-stick baking spray
School is almost out and summer sports are in! Summertime brings more outdoor play, sport camps and games. Here are the top tips to keep you kids packed with the 5 top essentials to keep them safe, well fueled and ready to perform their best! 1) Sunscreen Sunscreen is an absolute must to apply several...
Should my kid be drinking a sports drink or water during competition and practice? Which sports drink should I choose for them? Isn’t there too much sugar in sports drinks? These are all very common questions that I hear and as a sports nutritionist for over 19 years for athletes ranging from professional...