It’s time for the Oscars and that means awards-watching parties for many! For your party this year don’t think you have to derail your diet to have fun. My favorite way to create “skinny” drinks is to use LaCroix Sparkling water as my mixer. LaCroix is calorie, sweetener, and sodium free. Here’s one of my favorite recipes from my new book, The Pinterest Diet: How to Pin Your Way Thin that would be perfect for your Oscar-watching party.
Makes 1 serving
4 oz pure LaCroix sparkling water
2 oz Prosecco wine
2 California strawberries, sliced in half
Fill a champagne flute with chilled sparkling water. Top with Prosecco. Add two strawberries to garnish.
Disclosure: I work with the folks at LaCroix. Opinions are my own.
I’m always experimenting with quinoa and here’s one that I think you will love as much as I do! The best part is how simple it is to prepare and with the clean ingredients you can feel good about eating it since it’s healthy!
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 can (15 oz) low sodium chicken broth
12 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 can (15 oz) garbonzo beans
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
Bring the quinoa and broth to a boil. Then, cover and simmer on medium-high for about 12 minutes until quinoa is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Allow quinoa to cool. Add beans, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and red onion. Sprinkle feta on top.
Want to fire up your sex life by eating foods that can help get you in the mood on the sexiest day of the year? Check out my list of 9 foods that can get the blood flowing and the sperm swimming.
1. Chocolate: Probably the #1 food linked to love and sensuality, just the aroma is enough to boost sexual desire. Widely known to release pleasure-enhancing dopamine into the brain. Eating chocolate is associated with love and attraction. Some say it is better than sex. Chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), which acts as a neurotransmitter, releasing dopamine creating that falling in love feeling in the brain. Warning: consuming too much can cause a false sense of love.
2. Red Wine: This can help you heat things up with your sweetie by sending your lust into overdrive.
3. Bananas: Bananas not only can look like a feel-good food but they contain an enzyme, bromelain, which may boost testosterone production. Rich in vitamin B6, which is known for building serotonin levels and elevating your mood.
4. Avocados: Avocados act as a mood booster because they are rich in folic acid, vitamin B6 and potassium. The smooth and creamy texture combined with the rich flavor of avocados has linked this fruit to love as far back as the Aztecs. As a bonus during American Health Month, avocados are virtually the only fruit that has monounsaturated fat which according to the American Heart Association, good fats are those that can lower bad cholesterol levels and are beneficial when consumed in moderation.
5. Almonds: The aroma of almonds is believed to arouse female passion. Rich in vitamin E, magnesium, protein and fiber, almonds will also make you feel satisfied.
6. Oysters: Oysters have a notorious reputation for love and fertility since they are high in zinc, which has been shown to boost libido. They also contain amino acids that may trigger sex hormone production. Book your Valentine’s Day reservation at the new 801 Fish in Park Place for a variety of fresh raw oyster options. Oysters pair perfectly with a chilled glass of champagne to get you in the mood for romance.
7. Baby Carrots: Recent research from Harvard suggests that carrots have special sperm-boosting properties. They are high in beta-carotene and this antioxidant has been found to boost sperm motility, in other words, helping the sperm swim towards an egg.
8. Watermelon: Touted as the lycopene leader of all fruits and vegetables, this powerful antioxidant might have a Viagra-like effect on men’s blood vessels and increase libido.
9. Salmon (or other cold-water fish): Salmon can help elevate mood and prevent depression with the omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids may also raise serotonin levels in the brain, which regulate your mood and reduce irritability.
Reprinted with permission from my column in 435 South Magazine.
I wanted to develop a super simple salsa recipe that could be enjoyed during your Big Game Party or anytime you wanted to make an easily affordable salsa that is both healthy and delicious. This recipe can also be eaten as a black bean and corn salad. I love to eat it with black bean chips or alone. The great news is that this is one of the least expensive recipes I’ve ever made at only 21 cents per serving and all ingredients have the Great For You icon from Walmart.
Black Bean & Corn Salsa
Makes 12 Servings
1 can (15 oz) Great Value reduced-sodium black beans
1 can (14.5 oz) Great Value petite diced tomatoes
8 oz Great Value frozen corn
1/4 cup red onion, diced
Mix all the ingredients together and salt to taste. Serve with black bean chips or alone as a salad. You can add salt to taste.
Disclosure: I work with the folks at Walmart. Opinions are my own.
As we welcome 2014, let’s declare it the year to fight fat and those stubborn unwanted pounds you’ve allowed to creep onto your body over the previous years. Maybe you’ve fought it for a week or a month before, but the next thing you know, you’re back to your old eating habits and have even gained five pounds!
There’s no reason to feel guilty or regret the diet decisions you’ve already made. Get over it and get to work so you can rock your jeans better than ever. It takes your commitment and a willingness to get back on track if you have a bad meal or a bad day of eating. Just don’t let it turn into months of poor eating, where you find yourself looking forward to starting fresh again in 2015. Take action now.
Below are my top five strategies to burn your stubborn fat.
As we welcome in 2014, let’s declare it the year to fight fat and those stubborn unwanted pounds that you have allowed to creep onto your body over the previous years. Maybe you have fought it for a week or a month before, but the next thing you know, you are back to your old eating habits and even gained five pounds!
There is no reason to feel guilty or regret the diet decisions you have already made. Get over it and get to work so you can rock your jeans better than ever. Button. I know you can do it. It takes your commitment and a willingness to get back on track if you have a bad meal or a bad day of eating. Just don’t let it turn into months of poor eating and your looking forward to starting fresh again in 2015. Take action now. Below are my top 5 strategies to burn your fat.
1. Eat foods that satisfy. One of the hottest words in diet research today is satiety. A recent study showed that eating oatmeal for breakfast was more satisfying than eating other breakfast cereals. Research has also showed that almonds help people feel satisfied. In my new book, The Pinterest Diet: How to Pin Your Way Thin, I share my top 50 MSF (Most Satisfying Foods) Factor. Eating enough protein also helps you to stay satisfied and resist the temptation to snack excessively between meals. To burn fat better, boost your protein intake to about 0.7 grams of protein for each pound of your body weight. Just multiply your body weight, in pounds, by 0.7 to determine the number of protein grams to eat each day. Protein helps boost your metabolism, since it takes more calories to metabolize compared to fat and carbohydrates. Some of my favorite high-quality protein sources include: cottage cheese, lean beef, chicken breast, fish, lentils, beans, and Greek yogurt.
2. Say “no” to 5-6 small meals per day. As a registered dietitian for over 16 years, I have seen many people who are trying to lose weight following the common expert advice to eat 5-6 small meals each day. However, I rarely see this actually work for clients or with my own diet. I have found that people who do this actually graze all day long and never stop eating except to sleep. Shift to a three-meals-per-day mentality. During these three meals make sure it includes a good source of protein, a whole grain along with fruits and vegetables at mealtime. Eat a satisfying meal, and then wait to eat again until the next meal. That also puts your body into the calorie deficit you need to start losing body fat.
3. Drink your water. You hear it all the time but a lot of people don’t always follow the advice of drinking enough water throughout the day. To calculate your water needs take your body weight and divide by 2. This is how many ounces of water you should drink each day. I am frequently asked about any water options with a hint of flavor but no artificial ingredients. For years, I have been recommedinging LaCroix Sparkling Water and this past year I have started working with them. LaCroix is 100% natural sparkling water with a hint of pure fruit flavor. I love LaCroix because it is calorie, sweetener and sodium free and tastes delicious.
4. 7:30 pm Rule. Evening eating is a huge problem for a lot of people as I’ve seen them sabotage their daily efforts with their eating after 7:30 pm. Late-night eating is often done mindlessly while watching TV or browsing the Internet. When you eat after dinner, your body is already busy digesting your dinner so instead of burning fat while you sleep, you will be digesting the food from your late night munchies. You want your body to be burning fat while you sleep so stop eating after dinner. This is a key to losing weight more quickly! This is the rule that helped me lose my “Freshman 15” from college.
5. Get HIIT fit. After doing the same ‘ole, same ‘ole at the gym for years without getting the results you desire, it is time to change it up and try high-intensity interval training (HIIT). HIIT Training is a great way to maximize calorie burn in a short amount of time. Boosting your hear rate above 75% of its maximum has shown to increase metabolism. My personal HIIT fave is doing Tabatas, which were developed by Izumi Tabata, a former training coach for the Japanese speed skating team. The basis of his method is to work at an extremely high level for short periods of time. Each workout is four minutes long, consisting of 20-second, high-intensity work followed by 10 seconds of rest; this continues for a total of eight cycles. Using his method has worked wonders for my clients as well as myself. A few exercise examples that you could do Tabatas include: jump squats, burpees, star jumps, and mountain climbers.
Are you trying to cut some calories in order to shed a few pounds in the new year. Trying to lose weight while staying satisfied and energized? If so, below’s a recipe and you can find these little Pistachio Chewy Bites of sustainable energy at Amazon.com. Be sure to also “like” the...
As the song says, it’s the most wonderful time of the year – and the busiest! The kids are excited about the holidays, moms and dads are planning and preparing their most special dishes for visiting relatives and holiday parties and we’re all running around trying to get the shopping...
Are you thirsty for a fun holiday drink without all the guilt and calories that could help you win a trip to the Caribbean? Then try one of my newest recipes for Cherry Berry Punch below from my new book, The Pinterest Diet: How To Pin Your Way Thin. I use LaCroix as my zero calorie mixer which works...
Here’s a simple, delicious, and healthy skinny mashed potato recipe using Rooster potatoes that is perfect for Thanksgiving. The Rooster is a well-rounded potato. You can roast it, bake it, or boil it! These versatile potatoes are now available at Walmart. 5 Ingredient Skinny Mashed Potatoes Skinny...
Here’s a super simple, fresh, nutritious and affordable salad that you can put together in just minutes. This delish Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad only cost me $0.80 per serving with all of my ingredients purchased from Walmart. Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad. Super quick prep for...