You’re working really hard on eating balanced, nutritious meals and you’ve finally figured out how to fit your workouts in, but are you eating smart to energize yourself throughout the day and also to optimize your workout? Food is fuel so it is just as important to eat well to support your workouts and overall health. The key to smart eating, getting the most out of your workouts and performing well at work or school is the same: focus on eating nutrient-rich foods throughout your day.
To help you out, here are some top five must-haves to optimize your workout and life!
1. Eat Breakfast: Start the day by putting some gas in your tank! Your body needs energy to exercise. You will be able to exercise longer at a higher intensity when you consume some high quality calories for breakfast. Without breakfast, you will be low on energy, begin to crave sweets, and potentially overeat. In addition, it will leave you drained for the rest of the day. One of my favorite new products that works great for breakfast is the Organic Valley Organic Balance  which is a delicious, organic milk protein shake perfectly portioned with 16 grams of satisfying protein and 190 calories. You can definitely feel good about their ingredient list! Take a look ! Organic Valley is giving away a trip to a yoga retreat in Hollywood, Florida + a month supply of Organic Balance ! Check out the Pin-To-Win details here !
2. Smart Snacking: Instead of using snacking as a quick hunger or energy fix, plan it into your daily routine and caloric intake. Use smart snacking to get more vitamins, minerals, protein, and energy with options such as watermelon, hard boiled eggs, Organic Valley Organic Balance  or almonds.
3. Hydrate: As you exercise, you sweat to keep the body cool. It’s vital to make sure you are adequately hydrating throughout the day and not just when you are thirsty or after your workout. How do you know if you are getting enough to drink? Check your urine color. If its pale yellow (lemonade color), you are well hydrated. If its dark yellow (apple juice), its time to hydrate more!
4. Daily Inspiration: Okay, I’m a big fan of “mental nutrition”, too. I actually trademarked this several years ago as I think it is so important to “feed” your mind with positive thoughts and inspiration. This helps to put you in the right mindset for your workout and your entire day. I LOVE pinning inspirational quotes and sayings to always aim to live in a state of gratitude.
5. Sleep: Even though this isn’t a food to eat, proper sleep is one of the most important keys to good health, maximizing your workout and also maintaining a healthy weight. We know that people who do not get enough sleep struggle more to manage their weight. Afew of my favorite ways to improve my own include using an eye mask and using a sleeping sound machine app.
Use these healthy and nutritious tips to feel better, have more energy and support your workouts. You can create a smart eating plan that provides you a proper foundation to exercise and manage your weight.
Disclosure: I work with the folks at Organic Valley. Opinions are my own.