We all have stress in our lives but we can apply some simple strategies to reduce our stress. Here are my top ways
1. Establish priorities and stick with them. If you are aware of your priorities, you will most likely be more content. This may mean saying more “no’s” in your life than you are accustomed to; and saying no may seem difficult at the present moment, but it is worth saving your self from the added stress in the end.
2. Practice preventative measures. How to do this? Wake up earlier to give yourself time to get ready, and get to work early. Exercise daily. Maintain your weight by being aware of things that trigger you to overeat, and bad habits. Your environment is often stronger than your will, so think ahead and be prepared.
3. Set goals for yourself. Having something to strive for will automatically make you more self-satisfied because you will be working for the goals in your life you truly desire. Believe in yourself and your abilities. Avoid negative self-talk and stick around positive people along the way!
4. Schedule meditation, playtime, or down time into everyday. Relaxing a little each day will decrease the total amount of stress you may feel in a week. Give yourself a break, and you will be happier in the long run. Make this a priority for your peace of mind.
5. Adjust your attitude. Make it a point to strive for excellence in your life, not perfection. You do not always need to have all the answers to life’s questions, and that is okay. Look at problems as challenges, and work at being cheerful and optimistic above all else. When you switch to an attitude of gratitude it can be life changing and put some of your stressors into perspective. So, instead of focusing on all that is wrong in your life, focus on all of the positive things in your life.
Assistance provided by Stephanie Horvath