Remember when you were a kid and you had boundless energy and always felt great? You had no worries, no stress, and life was easy. How would you like to recapture some of that purity? We live in a non-stop society that pushes us to be smarter, prettier, and more successful and it can be exhausting! The key to regaining energy, worth and health is by taking care of you and stealing a few moments each day to follow one of these tips:
1. Celebrate the small things. Take a second to appreciate the little, happy things in your day. Smile when you see a little girl run into her mothers arms, enjoy the warmth of the sunshine, sing loudly when your favorite song plays on the radio, get excited about the yummy leftovers you get to eat for lunch, or listen to the crickets chirp as you fall asleep.
2. Go outside. Enjoy the fresh air! Exercising or walking outdoors raises your vitamin D levels, is a mood-booster, improves concentration, calms you and connects you with your inner self.
3. Catch some Zzzzs. Getting enough sleep improves your brain function, your reaction time and keeps your heart healthy. Lack of sleep can raise blood pressure and cholesterol levels, which are risk factors for heart disease.
4. Meditate. Meditation leads to relaxation that has positive effects such as reductions in heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate and muscle tension. It allows your body to recalibrate or find balance.
5. Give back to the community. Volunteering is actually good for your health! It gives you a sense of purpose. Purpose offers a self-created happiness by engaging in an accomplishment. Furthermore, it connects you with people in your community and expands your experiences. It also keeps you active and moving.
6. Exercise with a friend. Exercising with a friend can make it more fun and helps keep things interesting. If its fun, you are more likely to stay motivated and continue.
7. Laugh. Laughing just feels good! The good feeling you get when you laugh remains for several minutes after you finish laughing. Laughter allows you to relax, triggers endorphins and boosts immunity.
8. Make your favorite dessert. It’s important not to deprive yourself of your favorite foods. Allow yourself to indulge without guilt. Savor every bite and appreciate the rich flavors. This will give you a sense of independence and control.
9. Get out of your comfort zone. Do something you wouldn’t normally do. Stretch your own boundaries. This will boost your confidence and strengthen your courage. It will give you a sense of pride in yourself and help you grow as a person.
10. Pat yourself on the back. Don’t forget to remember your worth. Remind yourself of your strengths and talents. Surround yourself with positive people and appreciate yourself. A loving a supportive environment decreases stress levels and increases positivity.
Research assistance provided by Ashley Ingram