Smoothies are a wonderful way to pack in a lot of nutrients in a portable and convenient package, as well as being great options for post-workout nutrition when the right ingredients are included. I don’t know about you, but sometimes I can get into a smoothie “rut” where I end up making the same one over and over again out of habit. I love getting creative in the kitchen with my smoothies, and thought I would pass along some of my favorite little extras that I love to throw into my smoothies and share with my clients.
- SPINACH. This is hands-down my absolute favorite way to jazz up my smoothies! There’s nothing better than knowing you’ve just added more vitamins and minerals to your smoothie. Just wash a handful or two of baby spinach and throw it in the blender with the rest of your smoothie ingredients. I promise that you only taste the slightest bit of a “veggie” flavor!
- OATS. Sometimes when I’m in a time crunch, I need my smoothies to be extra-satisfying if I don’t have time for a full meal. I’ve found that adding about ¼ cup of old-fashioned oats to the smoothie gives it that extra stick-to-your-ribs texture! Simply blend your smoothie as you would normally, then toss in the oats and blend or pulse for a bit longer to break down the oats.
- HASS AVOCADO. Creamy avocado is another great flavor to add to smoothies – it has a mild flavor that works well in many different kinds of smoothies. Avocados are a “good”, healthy fat to add, and you can add 1/5 of an avocado for 50 calories. Hass avocados provide nearly 20 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients while giving the smoothie an extra little bit of creaminess, and a dose of healthy fat!
- COFFEE/ESPRESSO. Some of my clients have loved my suggestion of adding a bit of ground coffee or espresso into their mid-morning smoothies. There’s just something about the smell of coffee beans that perks some people up, and the coffee flavor can complement the fruit in the smoothie nicely. It can easily overpower though, so only add in a pinch or two.
- VANILLA. Similar to coffee, I find the smell of vanilla so pleasantly aromatic! Adding it to my smoothies almost gives it a dessert-feel, without adding in extra sugar or calories. Pour just a teaspoon in your next smoothie and enjoy the wonderful vanilla aroma!
Check out my YouTube channel HERE  to watch my 6 year-old daughter and I make her favorite smoothie together!
Assistance provided by Megan Skinner