Annual camping trips are, were, and always will be favorite summer gatherings for many of us. This year, I have decided to kick it up a notch by incorporating healthy eating habits even in the middle of a state park! Just because you’re not at home whipping together healthy meals doesn’t mean you can’t do just that while camping. Here is an exclusive list of a few of my favorite things to eat while camping!
- Kale chips. Ever since I discovered kale chips I can’t seem to get enough of them (even got my family obsessed!). Just drizzle kale with olive oil and sea salt and bake in the oven at 350-375 degrees for about 10-15 minutes and you’ve got yourself a potato chip alternative!
- PB & honey sandwiches on whole grain bread. Aim for all natural peanut butter to avoid preservatives and whole grain bread with at least 3 grams of fiber per slice. Choose 100% pure honey as a natural sweetener for your deliciously simple sandwich!
- Energy bars. These are great, healthy and convenient snacks while hiking. There are also some amazing flavors out there that are worth trying. Two of my favorite bars include Lara Bars (most variety of flavors found at Whole Foods) and Clif-C Bars.
- Baked beans. Not only are they a great protein source but they are also packed with fiber! Remember, for meals and snacks make sure you have both a protein and carbohydrate source!
- Dark Chocolate S’mores. Who doesn’t love s’mores? This year, buy dark chocolate bars as well for that extra antioxidant boost to protect your body from free radicals even while camping!
Do you have any healthy camping ideas you’d like to share? What’s your favorite camping food? Do share!
Research assistance provided by Monica Lobo, RD .