Watermelon is a summer favorite of mine, but it should be considered more than just a summer treat. This fruit is a nutritional masterpiece, loaded with many important nutrients and leads to health benefits. Below are some of the benefits you will reap from incorporating watermelon you’re your diet.
• Cardiovascular Health: Watermelon is packed with amino acids arginine and citrulline. These amino acids are important in regulating blood flow and promoting heart health.
• Vitamin C: The immune system is kicked up a notch my vitamin C, which is also important in anti-oxidant function. Anti-oxidants circulate in the body and mop up free radicals, or damaging agents.
• Potassium: This mineral is crucial in water balance; a deficit leads to muscle cramping.
• Vitamin B6: This vitamin aids in the production of neurotransmitters, which is important in nervous system communication.
With all the awesome benefits from watermelon, you want to make this a standard in your summer diet. There are some really interesting ways to prepare watermelon apart from the traditional picnic slices.
• Watermelon ice cubes: Puree watermelon in a blender and pour into ice cube tray to free. Add the frozen cubes to any of your favorite summertime drink.
• Grilled Spicy Watermelon : This is an interesting combination that transfers sweet tasting watermelon to a savory side. 
• Watermelon and Pineapple Salsa : Blend these two sweet tastes into a salsa for dipping pita bread or as a relish for grilled fish or chicken.
• Watermelon Salmon Skewers : Watermelon can even be made into an accompaniment for an entrée!
• Watermelon Pyramid Dessert : A mixture of summer fruit with a small piece of pound cake makes a quick and delicious summer dessert.
For more summer recipes and information about watermelon, check out the National Watermelon Promotion Board’s website , and be sure to include this delectable fruit in your summertime diet!
Research Assistance by Kaylee O’Connell