When trying to cut calories and eat healthier, your morning cup o’ joe doesn’t have to be that one thing you’re going to try to eliminate completely to try to cut calories. If you’re a coffee lover, can you realistically imagine a morning without coffee? Below are 5 simple swaps you can make in your morning coffee today, without affecting your morning cravings (and the people around you) while cutting calories at the same time.
- Switch to non-fat lattes. You can easily cut calories by up to half while still getting your caffeine boost by switching from whole to non-fat lattes (122 calories).
- Use a smaller coffee mug. Put away all those gigantic mugs that hold up to 2-3 cups to help with portion sizes and prevent drinking away your calories (unless it’s water of course!). The bigger the mug, the more cream and sugar you’ll add.
- Milk in place of creamer. Non-dairy creamers are considered a “free food” because they are low in calories (less than 20 calories). However, replacing creamer with milk can help fill you up (protein) and provide you with the calcium you need.
- Ice, Ice, Coffee. Try brewing a pitcher ahead of time and putting it in the refrigerator for a quick and easy coffee fix when you’re in a rush. 1 cup of black coffee only has 5 calories and adding ice gives the illusion you’re drinking more while staying hydrated.
- Go Decaffeinated. If you’re the type of person that doesn’t necessarily need the caffeine boost and just love the taste of coffee, try switching to decaffeinated coffee which contains a little caffeine but not enough to cause side effects such as anxiety, dizziness, headaches and jitters.
How do you like your coffee? What healthier alternatives have you made recently that you’d like to share?
Research assistance provided by Monica Lobo, RD.