April showers bring May flowers…which constantly remind us that we’re less than one month away from swimsuit season! It’s never too late to give your eating habits a makeover by making small changes that would lead to big differences. Say it with me now: “Small changes make BIG differences.” Below are 10 ways you can cut calories, today.
10 Ways to Cut Calories in May
- Cut fat from milk. Going from whole to 2%, 2% to fat-free/low-fat is an easy change you can make that can help cut down 30 calories!
- Replace 2 slices of bacon with 2 pieces of Canadian bacon.
- Craving oranges or opting for a Vitamin C boost? Try eating a fresh orange instead of gulping down orange juice.
- Spending calories at the coffee shop? Order a nonfat latte made from espresso and steamed milk for that hidden calcium!
- When eating meat, eyeball and compare with a deck of cards which is the same size as a 3-ounce meat serving. You’d be amazed by how much of a difference eyeballing portions make!
- For sandwich spread, try using sliced Hass avocado instead of mayonnaise for that extra kick and texture.
- Keep calorie-dense junk foods out of your “snack drawer” and pantry at home. If you don’t see it, you can’t eat it.
- Have a snack bar rich in fiber handy in your gym bag to eat post-workout to avoid binging at home. My personal fave is a Lara Bar.
- Stop eating after dinner. This will help you fit into your swimsuit.
- Instead of 1 cup of alfredo sauce, use 3/4 cup marinara sauce and 1/4 cup alfredo for your pasta to cut calories by more than half.
So go ahead…rock that swimsuit this summer.
Trying any of the above? What are you doing in May to help cut calories that you would like to share?
Research assistance provided by Monica Lobo, RD .