The best way to increase your satiety throughout the day is with 2 secret ingredients: protein and fiber! Including some protein and fiber at every meal will help keep you powered up and satisfied throughout the day. This is one of the principles emphasized in my new book with Tony Gonzalez, The All Pro Diet . Here are a few ideas to get you going. For further information, including meal plans and recipes, be sure to grab a copy of the book!
- Protein powder: Try adding a boost to your breakfast with protein powder. Hemp protein powder is a terrific plant-based powder with fiber, omega-3s and, of course, protein. Whey protein powder is another good choice. Add to smoothies, oatmeal, or pancake batter!
- Beans: Beans are full of protein and fiber. Add to soups, salads or sides for at lunch or dinner to keep you full and powered up all day long. Try mixing black beans with salsa for a delicious dip for toasted pita bread, or use chickpeas to make a tasty hummus.
- Quinoa: Quinoa is a unique whole grain in that is also a complete protein! Quinoa cooks like rice and can be used in a variety of ways. You’ve got to try it since it is on my list of top 10 foods you must try! One recipe in the all pro diet is simply using canned black beans with quinoa. It is delicious and packs good protein and fiber while saving you on your grocery budget.
- Peanut butter on whole wheat bread: This classic combo is great to curb your hunger and keep you going. Try it with bananas and a touch of honey if you have a sweet tooth.
- Fish + Brown rice: Another combo that’s perfect for a dinner that will keep you satisfied throughout the night. Be sure to eat it with plenty of non-starchy veggies for extra fiber and nutrients!
- Greek yogurt + fruit: Did you know that Greek yogurt has 2-3 times more protein than regular yogurt? That means greater stay-full power! Serve with fresh fruit for a filling, nutritious snack. Top with granola for a great breakfast.
What are your protein + fiber power combos?