Fruits play an extremely important role in a well-rounded, healthy diet. Fruit is packed with a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, cancer fighting antioxidants, and fiber. You don’t want to leave this food group out of your diet!
During the summer months there are so many beautiful and delicious fruits to be used and enjoyed in recipes! Instead of making the old stand-by, fruit salad, try one of these 7 fresh fruit ideas this summer!
1. Kebabs. Add berries, melons, grapes, and any other fresh fruit onto miniature skewers. Use as an appetizer for a fun summer party or just as a colorful snack for kids.
2. Sangria. Mix white wine, sliced peaches, raspberries, kiwi chunks, and mint for a rejuvenating summer cocktail. This mix is great for parties or for a relaxing night at home!
3. Fruit gazpacho. All you need to do is puree chunks of cantaloupe in a food processor. Then add other fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, peaches, or even yogurt on top before serving. This is a great dish for parties or as a refreshing breakfast.
4. Popsicles. For a warm weather treat, make fresh fruit popsicles! Mix together blueberries, grapes, strawberries, kiwi, and juice and then pour into popsicle molds.
5. Ice cubes. Add raspberries, blueberries, lemons, or limes to your ice cube trays before putting them in the freezer. Enjoy these colorful cubes in sparkling water or lemonade!
6. Lemonade. Try a new twist on lemonade by combining watermelon, strawberries, lemon juice, water, and a little bit of sugar in a blender. Enjoy this refreshment on a hot summer’s day!
7. Watermelon Keg. These creations are a great idea for summer parties! Make a keg from a watermelon and fill with your favorite juice or cocktail. Here’s how you can make your watermelon keg! Watermelon is top fruit choice in the nutrition department. This super hydrating fruit is low calorie and full of lycopene. It is very filling so it helps to satisfy without all the calories.
Do you have a favorite summer fruit recipe?
Assistance by Morgan Hoover