Do you have plans this May 5? While this can be a fun holiday, it can also be easy to overdo it on. Here are a few ways to enjoy a Happy and Healthy Cinco de Mayo!
Instead of Queso, Have Hass Avocado Salsa
While queso is cheesy and delicious, it is high in fat and calories. Queso can have up to 600 calories per serving. Salsa, on the other hand, can be a much better choice. In fact, try this super simple and delicious Mariachi Guacamole recipe which is more of a Hass Avocado Salsa.
- 2 ripe, Fresh Hass Avocados
- 1/2 cup roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. serrano chiles, minced
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 3/4 tsp. seasoned salt
- Cut the avocados in half; remove the seeds.
- Carefully remove flesh from the skin with a spoon.
- Cut avocados into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Place avocado chunks in bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well with rubber spatula.
- Serve immediately with thick tortilla chips.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Recipe: courtesy of Hass Avocado Board
Instead of a Frozen Margarita, Have it “On The Rocks”
Frozen margaritas are loaded with calories and sugar. While they vary from place to place, they can contain upwards of 300 calories. On the rocks margaritas generally range around 300 calories. If you want to toast the holiday, pick an on the rocks margarita over the frozen to save on calories. Also, skip the salt to keep your sodium consumption down.
For more fun Cinco de Mayo tips check this out!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Assistance Provided by Tori Thompson