A fast paced, busy lifestyle has become synonymous with American culture and has caused a rise in stress-related illnesses. Stress can cause the increased production of free radicals, which can have damaging effects on the body. Many of the foods below contain compounds that can help combat these free radicals. Eat these six foods below to help fight your daily stress!
1. Almonds contain vitamin B2 and vitamin E. Damaging free radicals are released during periods of high stress, which can be limited by vitamin E.
2. Spinach contains an important mineral, magnesium. This important mineral is responsible for the production of GABA, which helps make dopamine.
3. Oranges are packed with vitamin C, which can combat free radicals. More of these free radicals are released during high levels of stress.
4. Sweet potatoes stress can cause cravings for sweets and carbohydrates, which can be satisfied by this sweet carbohydrate. It also contains beta-carotene and vitamins.
5. Turkey contains an amino acid, L-tryptophan, which activates the release of serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that has been shown to increase mood.
6. Asparagus is packed with folic acid, which is responsible for helping to make dopamine; this is a neurotransmitter that is connected with pleasure.
Try the recipe below for a healthy stress reducing meal!
Spinach Salad with Oranges and Almonds:
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 green onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 oranges
- 1 1/2 6-ounce packages baby spinach
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Whisk first 7 ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cut peel and white pith from oranges. Working over medium bowl, cut between membranes to release segments. (Dressing and oranges can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill. Rewhisk dressing before using.)
Combine spinach, half of almonds, and all orange segments in large bowl with enough dressing to coat. Divide among 6 plates. Sprinkle with almonds.
Assistance by Morgan Hoover